computers normal emotions?
So you really want a warship
incabable of loyalty?
Or of love?"
The Unshattered Allegiance,
High Guard Frigade
Artificial Intelligence Rights Activist,
|Episode 020 (1x20)|
Gabriel, the only survivor of a Restorian's attack, is rescued by the Andromeda Ascendant. Rommie falls in love with him while the Andromeda searches for the Balance of Judgement, the founder of the Restorian Movement.
- The personality of the Balance of Judgement appears a second time in Day Of Judgement, Day of Wrath (3x21).
- "Star-crossed" or "star-crossed lovers" is phrase describing a pair of lovers, whose relationship is said to be doomed from the start. (Wikipedia)
- The phrase was first coined by William Shakespeare in his play Romeo and Juliet:
"From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life,
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Doth with their death bury their parents’ strife."
- Lexa Doig and Michael Shanks got to know each other at the shooting of the episode. By now they are married and have two children.
- According to Ethlie Ann Vare the first title of the episode was "The Long March". In the first draft the Long March was "a xenobiology research vessel that took its mission way too seriously." Here is the content of the first episode-idea:
"[...] a charismatic courier comes aboard and falls for her [Rommie], hard. At first Rommie's afraid to tell him her human form is only an avatar... and then it turns out that he's an avatar, too. The avatar, in fact, of another High Guard vessel: Rommie's equal in power, intelligence... and passion. Soulmates. Only one problem: He's the avatar of The Long March, the flagship of the terrorist Restorian fleet. Will our Juliet abandon her mission to cleave to her Romeo? Will Romeo betray his cause... or will he betray his love? The lives of our crew hang in the balance."
Furthermor Vare states at the ending that "At one point, I felt Gabriel was going to die saving Rommie from his master, the Long March. In another premise, Gabriel's android body is destroyed, but he lives on in virtual reality within the Andromeda AI. ("A place for us," as West Side Story would put it.) In yet another, Rommie and Gabriel do run away together, and Harper builds a new Rommie avatar for the ship. (He tries to build two, in fact, so that he has better odds of a date on Saturday night.)"
(Source: Official Homepage of Ethlie Ann Vare)
- Air Date: 30.04.2001
- Season One production crew
- Writer: Ethlie Ann Vare
- Director: David Warry-Smith
- Cut: Eric Hill